Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 7th

Karen and Todd are evil geniuses!! After the long hard day yesterday, I could only think of home. But this morning started with a trip to The Covering (the orphanage). I’m in love!! It was amazing. These kids were so incredible. We walked from the guest house down this crazy long hill and then around the corner to the alley where you enter to The Covering. The kids lined the alley and sang a greeting song as we walked in between them to the gate. Then they swarmed!! There were kids on our arms, legs, hands, touching our hair, everywhere!! They couldn’t get enough. It was so incredible. They couldn’t ask us enough questions. They were so sweet and beautiful. I am now Auntie Rachel. My husband is Uncle Michael.
I am overwhelmed by these kids. They are amazing and fun. We got to sit in on their worship, I have met my match!!!!  The singing, was so sweet and beautiful.  I will never be able to dance or learn the clapping rhythms. It was so fun to sing with them and watch them really worship. They get so much that it took me so long to understand. They all want their pictures (click, click) taken and then they want to see it.  I’m just blown away.
We were also able to spend some time with the Siscos. I really am enjoying our time together. They are settling and it’s good to see how easy they are acclamating. I’m hopeful our move is as easy!
We were able to drive into Freetown today as well. I am speechless. The trash, the poverty and the excitement in the city are overwhelming. Just heaps and piles of garbage in the water, on the ground put together to build homes. The roads are dirt and torn apart and there really are no driving rules!! In spite of all the sad things I saw, the town was so lively. There was so much community and connectedness with the people. The one thing that may take getting used to, men holding hands walking down the street! A bit odd?! But it’s so kind and endearing. It shows so much value for these friendships. The people were so kind and sweet. I loved it!!
We also got to go to the market. Great experience!! Michael is a horrible bargainer. I am the master!!  I loved the wheeling and dealing and haggling. The women kept grabbing me and pulling me into their booths. I enjoyed it so much. Plus, what beautiful craftsmanship. 
GREAT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment